Friday, June 22, 2007

James Taylor and Heaven (and Hebrews, again!)

Catch of the Day~ June 22, 2007

"Eternity (or Carolina, whichever comes first)" by John Fischer

This morning I jogged to James Taylor's "Carolina In My Mind" and couldn't help thinking of eternity. I think it was the "holy host of others standing 'round me" line that reminded me of the great cloud of witnesses in Hebrews 12:1. At any rate, my crazy mind is always making these kinds of connections between the sacred and secular. (Actually I'm no longer aware of much of a difference between the two; it's all gotten pretty holy to me.) Not that we live our lives only for eternity, or that we become so other-worldly we are of no use to this world, but the fact that as believers we do have a life #2 waiting for us in eternity should have some effect on how we live today. So for inspiration today along these lines, we will borrow from the apostle Paul, from whoever wrote Hebrews if it wasn't Paul, from Peter and from James (Taylor, that is). And the theme is sort of like living with eternity (or Carolina, whichever comes first) in your mind.

In my mind I'm goin' to Carolina
Can't you see the sunshine
Can't you just feel the moonshine
Maybe just like a friend of mine
It hit me from behind
Yes I'm goin' to Carolina in my mind

For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. (2 Corinthians 4:17)


There ain't no doubt in no one's mind
That love's the finest thing around
Whisper something warm and kind

The end of all things is near... [so] love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. (1 Peter 4:7-8)


Since everything will be destroyed... what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming. That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat.

But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness. (2 Peter 3:11-13)


And hey babe the sky's on fire
I'm dyin' ain't I... goin' to Carolina in my mind

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Hebrews 12:1)


With a holy host of others standing 'round me
Still I'm on the dark side of the moon
And it seems like it goes on like this forever
You must forgive me
If I'm up and gone to Carolina in my mind


www.fischtank.com.

2 Comments:

Blogger Angie said...

But we should "live our lives only for eternity." Always with the end of the race in mind.

Friday, June 22, 2007 2:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AAAHHH!!
I never really listened to the words of this song! It is bittersweet!
DiAn

Friday, July 27, 2007 5:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home