Monday, June 18, 2007

Faith: A Very Thin Line (but a lifeline nonetheless)

I can see how it could happen. A preacher [talking with someone] whose comment reminds him of a verse: Psalm 27:13, I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. The preacher is trying to encourage...so he emphasizes that David is expecting to get relief [soon] from whatever bind he was in, not in some far off by and by: 'in the land of the living,' he stresses. And then he says, 'Imagine what David's life would have been had he not known the Lord? He would have been depressed; he would have been discouraged...' and on and on, 'but look at David and look at what a great man he became, and the same thing can happen to you if you believe.'

And as I saw this, my little 'wait a minute' truth flag went up. Wait a minute, I thought, David was depressed. He was discouraged. He committed devastating sins;
He bore huge consequences for those sins. In fact, through his poetry, we know more about the spiritual/emotional makeup of this man than we do of some of our best friends, and we know that sometimes he felt completely abandoned by the Lord, and sometimes his prayers seemed to go nowhere, and all of this happened while he knew the Lord! I wanted to scream..."

~ Catch of the Day, June 18, 2007, John Fischer

And sometimes I want to scream!


I have two points.
1. The author of this Catch of the Day makes 1. in his conclusion: "Imagine what David's life would have been like had he not known the Lord, is NOT the point. The point is: David knew the Lord and his life was full of struggle and pain. So take heart. YOUR STRUGGLE IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD OR THE END OF YOUR FAITH." (The ALL caps is my version of his last statement and I will expound on the end of my faith in another post sometime.)

2. "through his poetry, we know more about the spiritual/emotional makeup of this man than we do of some of our best friends, and we know that sometimes he felt completely abandoned by the Lord, and sometimes his prayers seemed to go nowhere, and all of this happened while he knew the Lord!"


Through my poetry, my writings, through all the emotional mess and ranges, you may know more about me. Maybe more than you want to know. But more. For anyone who cares, you need to hear the good and the bad, the sad and the mad, and yes, the completely immature and juvenile outbursts. And as I've said before, if you don't care or don't "need" to hear or know, well, you're reading the wrong blog. And, again, another post might touch on the subject of feeling abandoned by those you are closest to, sometimes even by your Christian family. And how God does send angels that you never expected.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And those angels come from out of nowhere and meet you in many places.
And sometimes the angels meet you at your place of worship, just where you Christian family is worshipping, too.
And sometimes those angels are actually fallen angels who seem to be in the process of falling down on you and YOU become their support.
And may I speak for the angels that fit in any of these catagories with the following idea, "Friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."
Thank you, Angie, for being my friend and angel.
Donna

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 4:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home