Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Self-destruction: Too Selfish, Too Unfair, & Way Weird

When we have children, we lose our right to self-destruct.

~ Ruth Bell Graham

(I think I heard this on a TV show tribute to Mrs. Graham. Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

There has been a time or two I've seriously thought of self-destructing, but always think of my daughter (and mother, siblings, nieces, and nephews). They could get along perfectly fine without me, but aside from a little initial sadness, dealing with death is just way too weird, especially under self-destructing circumstances. WAY weird and so unfair of me to lay that on them.

I think it was the George O'Malley character on "Grey's Anatomy" who said at the time of his father's death, "I have never lived in this world when he was not." (or something like that)
Way weird--I can vouch for that.

2 Comments:

Blogger Angie said...

My original title of this post confused even me weeks later when I read it. Took me a minute to figure out what I meant. Okay, so I've clarified.

~Angie

Monday, December 31, 2007 3:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have heard that sentiment put another way....Once we have children, we cannot hurt or kill ourselves for no good reason.

Monday, April 14, 2008 9:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home