Wednesday, May 09, 2007

What To Do, What To Do

Alisa is home from college for the summer. She's decided now to look for a summer job. She's going to substitute teach in Jasper for the next couple of weeks, will teach dance and gymnastic classes for a couple of weeks, is going to Montreal for a week and planning a trip to Hilton Head with friends, but she's realizing that since her paycheck from her job at IU has stopped, there's not much cash for gas, fun, etc.

Oh and Indiana University is now forever in her past. She just didn't like it there. She' been accepted at Vincennes University and accepted to the nursing program there. (Nursing? That's a-whole-nother story!) She very excited that she made the dance team, so she's a Blazerette! HOWEVER, now she's not so sure about going to VU. She's applied to USI, with her Dad's blessing, where her heart (boyfriend) is. And I'm trying to talk her OUT of the nursing thing. Are we failing her as parents?...you might think.

We'll see. In the meantime, I read this article in RELEVANT Magazine that made me think of Alisa at first. Then I started to realize that with all of the floundering I've been doing lately, maybe I could learn something valuable from this also. Here's an excerpt:

By being open-minded about what I consider enjoyable, I could end up somewhere unexpected. Who knows? That unexpected place may end up becoming the right job. The book Keys to Liberal Arts Success (Figler, Carter, Bishop & Kravits) cites stories of students like Elsa Rousseau, who graduated with a sociology degree and now heads up the marketing department of a real estate and banking firm. “They hired me because there was an energy and compatibility between us,” Rousseau wrote (p. 242). “It wouldn’t have mattered if I were a dance major.”

It was helpful for me to find this information and think about my past experiences, but the best advice I received during my period of searching was from my sister, Lindsay. She had heard a sermon about not dwelling on past accomplishments, but instead focusing on what is most important to a hopeful future— becoming more like Jesus. She read part of Philippians 3:12 to me: “I keep working toward that day when I will finally be all that Christ Jesus saved me for and wants me to be.” I will never have the perfect plan or make the perfect decision in my life, but I can have this peace: God has brought me to where I am, and He will never leave me.

There is a point when staying in one place causes people to stagnate. Even though it would feel comfortable if I kept working for my college newspaper or stayed in school until something better came along, I would never learn to take a risk. Even worse, I would never learn to put my trust in God.

I've been thinking (and praying) alot about God's plan for my life, for awhile now. There are a couple of things that keep coming back to me, but nothing definite about changing jobs or leaving Jasper. Just some thoughts about my heart's desires and serving Christ...and being able to live for Him without all of these frustrations and heartaches. I have a lot of garbage getting in the way and some of it I just can't seem to get past.

So I am opening up my mind and my heart to possibly leaving some comforts--my home, my church, familiarity in my job, friends--to entertain the idea of a new home, a new church family, a new job that will pay more, which will ease financial burdens, new friends and acquaintances that might open up opportunities to help others and serve Christ more and better. I just might make God more pleased with me, my attitude, and my work for Him. Some of this garbage may get left behind so that I can return to the real me. The me that was always nice, sweet, and pleasant. Where is she?

I'm looking for her and, finally, accepting that she's still inside me, just may be stagnant and stuck in the miry pit. If I have to let go of some good stuff in order to clear out the clutter, that might just be what needs to happen.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Though I'd hate to see you go anywhere, I know that it is important to be open enough to God to allow Him to lead you ANYwhere, no matter what or where that may be. I have to remember that myself as I get more comfortable where we are. God may call us to move somewhere really weird and I have to be open to that because it's about His will for us, not my will for us.
— jDR

Thursday, May 10, 2007 11:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home