Friday, February 16, 2007

Thanks For The Memories!

This just took me WAY, WAY back. I was trying to think of concerts I have been to for a comment to Daniel’s post at Alien Soil about the closing of an amphitheatre where he saw a lot of concerts, once upon a time. Anyway, I ran across a 1981 playlist from a radio station that I used to always listen to when I lived in French Lick. “Double-U, L, S, Chi-ca-go!” I can still hear/sing their jingle--with emphasis on the “L” and the “ca.” :) WLS out of Chicago and WAKY out of Louisville were the two radio stations that I first remember listening to at home, and sometimes WITZ , Jasper, on Sunday afternoons. Then when I was in high school WUME started up in Paoli, IN, and they played everything—country, rock, top 40, oldies, gospel, etc--EVERYthing all mixed up until they established a regular format. And every night they took requests and dedications. It was an awesome thing for teenage girls! It was the first Instant Messaging! Dedicate a song that sent a message. IM in the 70s! We made good use of it.

Ah, the memories. But back to my first point, the songlist here: http://www.oldiesloon.com/il/wls053081.htm I remember most every song and at least have heard of most every artist. These songs take me back to college, sitting in Cindy and Lisa’s dorm room in Burford Hall at Indiana State, watching General Hospital, or listening to REO Speedwagon and Pat Benatar. Skipping class in the spring to lie out in the sun on the dorm’s rooftop deck. Freezing our bikinied tails off in late February and into March. Had to get a jump on spring break and tans! I remember taking coolers up there and someone’s stereo that was plugged in to several extension cords that stretched down the stairs that led up to the roof and down to where the nearest outlet was. We danced and sang and sprayed ourselves with water and baby oil. The guys in the dorm across the way would hold up signs as they looked through their binoculars at the sights. And I honestly don’t remember any particular obscenities or vulgarity from either side. Most of the signs would have “Hi Brooke” or other girls’ names. We were all good kids, you know. ;) Those were the days.

What happened to “the” days? Where are those people? Mary, Connie, Rhonda, Joy, Cindy, Lisa. And where is Rich Matthew?! Wonder if the Matthew’s still have a tree growing up through the floor in their house?

Thanks for taking me back, jDR. It was a good time. Sorry you missed it. What were you, maybe 4 yrs old? I'm sure you were doin your own Peaceful Meadows thing.

What were the rest of you doing when I was a freshman in college, 1980-81 school year? And/or what concerts have you been to? That was the topic of this post when I first started it.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was watching Sesame Street and CHiPs.

(and a little Dukes of Hazzard, I think)

-- jDR

Friday, February 16, 2007 7:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was married for 1-2 years in '80-'81. Frank was in med school and we were sooo poor in money but rich in love. Ignorance in the worldly ways was costly.
I listened to WLS in the 70's and 80's. (Dang---that was a long time ago!)
I, too, can hear and still can hum the ditty. Remember Uncle Larry and Little Tommy in the AM on the AM?!? Wow---back in time and now back to the future. Thanks for reminding me to remember, Angie.
Donna

Sunday, February 18, 2007 8:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it great how songs can take you back? I love hearing a song and thinking of all the memories it holds for me.
80-I was born.
81-sitting up, starting to talk? ? ?

Sunday, February 25, 2007 12:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home